The Ottoman Empire was already a significant customer of the Ganz factory in the second half of the 19th century. The factory was focused on in electricity from the 1880s and was dominating the market in the field of transformers, generators, electricity meters and other products not only in Hungary, but in the Balkans and Turkey as well. The Kingdom of Hungary played an important role in the economic and infrastructural modernization of the Republic of Turkey in the 1920-30s. Part of this was the successful export of the Ganz products, which continued in the 1960s and 1970s as well. The fractioning of GANZ-MÁVAG into smaller companies in 1988 created a significant loss in market in Turkey as well. However, Ganz products, some of them dating back to half a century, still serve in all of the bigger settlements of the country. The former factory at the beginning of the Golden Horn, currently a university building named Santral Istanbul, is one of the fine examples of this.